UAS Use for State Transportation Agencies
The purpose of this presentation is to identify the benefits UAS can have for use within transportation agencies. To name a few, mapping using this technology can create detailed surveys on soft surfaces and prevent the need to close lanes and have expensive traffic control. When an accident occurs incident management can quickly assess the situation, map the area within minutes, and allow lanes to be opened to the travelling public with less impact. Bridge inspection can be supplemented with UAS technology to create a safer environment for inspectors and allow highly detailed documentation for future uses. Many transportation agencies have seen the benefits of this technology and are implementing plans for their use.
This presentation on drones or UAS technologies will educate attendees on:
• How to implement emerging UAS technology within their departments
• Understand and work within the rules set forth by the FAA
• Areas where they can see immediate benefits to improve efficiencies, reduce costs, and save lives.
• Types of UAS and costs/benefits of the variety of aircraft available
• Where the Utah Department of Transportation is at with their implementation of UAS technology.